02 August 2007

In case you haven't had enough...

...I've got more photos of things made from zucchinis! So for a while after those first exciting zukes, every time I went out to the garden, my zucchini plants had lots and lots of stems. With the squash blossoms conspicuously missing. I think some little four legged creatures were having a very gourmet meal. My neighbor recommended spraying the plant with a mixture of cayenne pepper and water, and let me tell you, it's worked wonders. I'm getting about one zuke a day (which is a lot when there's just the two of us and we don't eat very much). Seriously, you'd swear that's all I'm growing. I promise to post about something else from the garden next time!

So what else would I do but turn on the oven? (Which is especially fun given the heat)



Zucchini chocolate chip cookies. Recipe courtesy of Camille Kingsolver in Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. I substituted the egg with 2 tablespoons of ground flax plus 3 tablespoons of water.



Zucchini muffins- adapted from my mom's zucchini bread recipe (yes, she found it!). Apparently, I'm the only person at my job who can bake something vegan, so I was enlisted for a vegan coworker's last day on the job.



Oh yeah, and what else would I have for dinner? Grilled golden zuke! I don't have a grill, so I just did them in the broiler (a little olive oil, salt, pepper, fresh thyme, and red pepper flakes- yum!).

Back tomorrow with a preview of what I'll be bringing to the Powderhorn Art Fair coming up this weekend, stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! If you have "The Joy of Cooking" and want to make something savory, there is a great recipe for zucchini and feta pancakes in there.

    My thoughts are with you and other Minnesotans this weekend. Glad you are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're doing a great job using them up. I'm planting a vegetable garden next year so remind me then of all these great idea.

    ReplyDelete