29 June 2008

for liz.

This one's for you Liz. One of my oldest and bestest friends got engaged yesterday and I'm so freaking excited for her. Liz and I have been friends since 1992, when we met at summer camp and me, her, and Rachel were all the same height (read: very very short). They are still the same height, and I, shockingly, have become the tall one. Our families didn't live too far from each other, so we got to hang out periodically during the non-camp part of the year. As we got older, MetroNorth train trips between Manhattan and Scarsdale became more and more frequent, and we became much more than "camp friends."

Liz, Rachel and I have been through all the ups and downs that long-time girl friendships go though. We took a road trip to Lake Tahoe together in high school (I think it was the first real trip without parents I had ever taken), where we helped Liz start the dreads that she would have for years. We traveled through Europe together when we were 18 in what was one of the craziest trips of my life. A trip in which we rode and missed trains, fed pigeons, met new friends, sunbathed on rocks, got yelled at by an old lady in an Italian supermarket, yelled at each other, and loved each other. (We have yet to take another trip together...)

We were there for each other during hard times with families and friends. And for all the good times too, bat mitzvahs, graduations, birthdays, holidays, new loves. We were such good friends, that eventually, our parents had no choice but to become friends (which they all still are). Eventually we all ended up in San Francisco, sadly Rachel moved there just before I left, where the two of them still live just blocks from each other.

They're two of the things I miss most about being there and I always get a little bit sad and a little bit happy when I call one of them and hear the other's voice in the background. I can't imagine my life without either of these two wonderful, funny, smart, confident, outgoing, crazy, and beautiful women. And Liz, I am so happy for you that you are going to spend the rest of your life with someone as amazing as Tony. He takes care of you, makes you laugh and challenges you, teaches you and learns from you, and cooks you the best darn food a girl could hope for. I love you. Congratulations.

2 comments:

  1. this was so sweet to read. i'm even excited for her! love, bimbo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok, now i need to know where you went to camp! (as a fellow camp person from the east coast who went to camp with lots of people from manhattan and scarsdale.)

    ReplyDelete