15 July 2008

It Hurts (also, I'm sorry)

It's so hot right now that it's almost painful to think about writing this post. If where you are, it's too hot to think about turning on the oven, then I fully apologize for bringing this up. In that case, do not even read further, but bookmark this page for later, because you're gonna want to try this. This recipe is such an old standby that I can't even believe I haven't posted it here yet. In fact, I've intentionally not written about it the past few times I've made it because I was so sure I had already shared the recipe with you all. But alas, I searched the archives this morning and did not find it (if I happened to have missed it, sorry for the repeat!).

I feel like banana bread is something that everyone makes at one point. It may or may not always be the best recipe, but it seems so basic, that we all try it eventually. I happen to love my recipe. It's (as are most of my recipes) an adaptation of my mom's (the adaptation, as always, being to make it vegan). I've found recently that even though I'm not vegan, having lived with one for a few years now, I've become so accustomed to vegan baking that the thought of baking with eggs (which is most frequently the only non-vegan ingredient, besides butter that is easily replaced with margarine) is quite overwhelming. I've also found that I'm not even used to the taste of "eggy" baked goods when made by someone else. Not that I don't enjoy non-vegan baked goods, but it can sometimes be a bit of a shock to my system.

In any case, this recipe is super easy and bakes for long enough that you can go outside and water the garden while the oven is heating up the kitchen. I also have a few variations that I'll list at the bottom--strawberry banana bread (if you're so lucky to still have local strawberries available) and banana nut muffins. As always, let me know if you try them, I'd love to hear feedback on the recipe!

Vegan Banana Bread

Ingredients:
1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup non dairy margarine
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbl ground flax seed mixed with 6 tbl water (mix this together first to allow the flax and water to combine thoroughly)
2 overripe bananas (about 2 cups), mashed
1/2-1 cup chocolate chips (I use semi-sweet, always-Guittard brand)
1/2-1 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 and grease a loaf pan. In a large bowl, combine flours and baking soda. In a separate medium sized bowl, cream together sugar and margarine. Add flax/water mixture and mashed bananas. Add wet mixture to flour mixture and combine. Mix in chocolate chips and walnuts. Spread into loaf pan and bake for 60-65 minutes (or until a toothpick comes out clean). Sometimes I like to sprinkle some brown sugar and cinnamon on top too...Cool completely before slicing. Enjoy.

Strawberry Banana Bread:: Reduce bananas to 1 cup, and add 2 cups of sliced strawberries. Add 1 tsp orange extract. Alter flax/water mixture to 2 tbl flax + 3 tbl water (instead of 6 tbl water).

Banana Nut Muffins:: Reduce sugar to 1/3 cup brown sugar (instead of 2/3 cup). Increase baking soda to 1 1/4 tsp (instead of 1 tsp). Add 3 tbl soymilk. Bake in greased muffin tins for 15-20 minutes (use toothpick test as for banana bread).

3 comments:

  1. I do love banana bread. I think I could make a loaf once a week and never be tired of it. I never thought of making strawberry banana bread...it sounds delicious!!! Also, banana nut muffins!! I don't know which I'll make first, but they all sound yummy. Thanks for sharing their recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mm...I adore banana and chocolate, and have never thought of adding chips to the batter.
    i think these would make lovely cupcakes...to easily sneak into your bag on everyday walks.

    ReplyDelete