I'm working on a real diagram of the whole plot, but until then, a description will have to do...I'm also trying to be really good about keeping my garden journal, writing down when I plant each plant or seed, when it starts peeking out and sprouting, when I'm harvesting, when I'm watering everyday, when it rains or is really dry, etc. etc. Last year, I did horrible job and apparently I quit the journal altogether sometime in the middle of July. Hmm. So here's what I've planted this year at my community garden plot, which measures about 10'x12'. (And for a longer description of the community garden, hop on over to homesteading!)
- Tomatoes: I have multiple varieties this year. 4 brandywine, 2 roma, 1 green cherry, 1 sun sugar (a yellow/orange cherry), 1 green zebra, and 1 purple slicer.
- Peppers: Again, multiple varieties. 2 mini yellow/orange bells, 1 green bell, 1 jalapeno, 2 bhut jolokia (an asian variety I found at the farmers market- supposedly hotter than a habanero!)
- 5 Broccoli (1 died so far)
- 2 Eggplant
- 2 cucumber
- 1 yellow squash
- 1 zucchini
- rainbow chard
- golden beets
- chives and strawberries were inherited with the plot.
Also, in my backyard garden at the house is where I have my herb garden and for the past couple years I've planted my beans as well. This year, I cleared a little bit more room in some beds that I've neglected and got overgrown with tall grass to start growing some medicinal herbs. So here's what I've got at home:
- Beans: Royal Burgundy (A purple string bean variety), Provider (A green string bean)
- Herbs: oregano, parsley, basil, thyme, rosemary, sage, peppermint, cilantro and spearmint appear to have re-seeded themselves from last year.
- Medicinal plants: 2 echinacea, 2 calendula, 7 lavender, 3 chamomile.
- A sh*t-ton of raspberries.