25 March 2007

Getting Over Crafters Block

I have to admit, I never really thought I would get crafters block. But here I am, it's been about two weeks and I just haven't been able to make anything. Sounds odd, since I normally can't wait to get home from work and plop down on the couch with my knitting, or in front of the sewing machine, or even get in the kitchen, preheat the oven and whip up some kind of batter. I have been baking a bit, so I guess I haven't been completely blocked (mmm, banana chocolate chip muffins, almond horn cookies, mmm). But still, when it comes to knitting and sewing, I have to admit I've been at a total loss.

Well, I think I may be past it. I went to one of my favorite stores yesterday- Crafty Planet- and bought some really beautiful fabric scraps, a bunch of thread and a new book that I'm so excited to get into- Sew U by Wendy Mullin. It's got some really beautiful clothing patterns that I can't wait to try. I also got another book in the mail- You Grow Girl- which I'm hoping will prepare me for my first ever garden! Yes that's right, this city girl whose mom kills almost every plant she comes in contact with (I still love you mom) is finally taking the big step from houseplants to a full-fledged garden plot! I'm a little nervous, but I'm hoping with some of the tips from this book and the amazing advice that I've already started getting from my fellow community gardeners over at Columbus Gardens in South Mpls, I will have a successful first garden. Be prepared to hear and see all about it over the next few months!

In addition to these great books and an inspiring trip over to Crafty Planet, I've also finally finished a big custom order for a good friend of my mom's. I'm really excited about how some of these turned out, and I think having this order really helped me get through my first bout with crafters block. Check out some of these neat designs I came up with...

No comments:

Post a Comment