14 April 2007

A Treat for Friday Afternoon

After a busy week- it's always nice to treat yourself on Friday afternoons. The miserable weather here (I know I said I would stop talking about the weather, but...) finally turned into a beautiful sunny Friday afternoon! What a great way to end the week. And to top it all off...




Honey Oatmeal Cookies!

I've decided to start sharing some recipes on my blog. Since I spend so much time in the kitchen, I figured that it's only fair to share the love. And after a year and a half of sharing my life (and my kitchen) with a vegan, I've learned to adjust (but certainly not abandon) everything about baking that I learned from my mom, and come up with some fun new versions of old favorites.

Vegan Honey Oatmeal Cookies* (or Dairy-free Honey Oatmeal Cookies)
Ingredients:
3 tbl. non-dairy margarine
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1 tbl. ground flax seeds mixed with 3tbl water
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
optional: about 1/2 cup chocolate chips, chopped nuts, raisins, or any other yummy treats

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium bowl, mix together margarine, brown sugar, honey, and flax/water mixture thoroughly. In a separate, smaller bowl, sift together flour, salt, and baking soda. Stir in rolled oats. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix thoroughly. Add any additional yummies (chocolate chips, nuts, raisins, etc.). Drop by teaspoonfuls onto a greased baking sheet (can also use a silpat-like sheet). Bake 12-15 minutes. Cool. Eat. Enjoy.

*"Vegan" and "Honey" is contradictory. My vegan eats honey, but most do not. Just something to be aware of.

No comments:

Post a Comment