09 June 2007

Back to normal {phew}

I don't think I ever mentioned here on the blog that I had to quit drinking coffee for a month. This was really hard for me- I could probably count on my two hands (and maybe my feet) the number of days I have not drank coffee over the last twelve or thirteen years. I've just never really thought about quitting drinking coffee because I truly enjoy drinking it. It's not really the caffeine- I can drink a cup of coffee and fall right asleep, so I don't think it's doing much to keep me awake when I need a little boost-It just really makes me happy. I don't know if it's the warmth (although I love iced coffee too), or the taste, or the smell. I think it's all of that combined.

In any case, when I found out I had to quit for a month for fear of an interaction between my coffee and a homeopathic remedy that I'm taking, my first feeling was anger. Anger at being forced to do something that I didn't want to do. Anger at having something that I love and see no reason to give up being taken out of my life. But, I really want the remedy to work, so I decided to go for it with full force.

The day after I found out that I had to chuck the coffee, I just stopped (against the advice of many). To my pleasant surprise, the headaches did not come. I felt fine- not the headache-ridden, drowsy withdrawl that so many describe. I could have other forms of caffeine, so I thank Assam Tea for saving me during this period (and thanks to my parents for getting me this awesome tea press- who knew they made tea presses?). I found that after the anger subsided, I almost felt sad that I couldn't have the coffee that I so dearly love. I missed it.

I found out yesterday at my follow-up visit that I can go back to drinking coffee, in moderation. I was so elated at this news and I went straight to one of my favorite spots for a double espresso on ice (I think I went for restarting coffee just as strong as I had quit it- all at once!). I had such a huge grin on my face, people on the street must have thought I was crazy.

This was definitely a learning experience for me. I was reading yesterday on kleja's blog about letting go, and giving up coffee was certainly a lesson for me in letting go to my normal routine. It's good to know that I can do that if I need to or ever decide that I want to. Needless to say I'm glad to be back to normal and drinking my coffee again!

(Oh yeah, and that beautiful coffee mug is courtesy of our very talented friend Milena).

(And sorry for so much writing and not many photos- I promise more crafty updates soon!)

1 comment:

  1. Milena makes a beautiful mug. I'm like you in that coffee feels good in the hands. Its sort of a comfort. I, however, must have a cup in the morning or else I'm a grouch from H-E-double hockey sticks! I have cut back to two cups a day both in the morning. It really does help to wake me up and set my morning right.

    Glad you were able to make it through the month :)

    ReplyDelete