16 July 2007

Sunken Treasure

Oh, it looked so yummy in the oven, the toothpick came out clean and I was sooo excited. Then I took it out of the oven and it just sank. I didn't watch it very closely and I guess I didn't realize how much it was sinking until it was way too late to put it back in the oven.


Clearly this recipe needed eggs-and not my usual substitute of ground flax seed/water mixture. Also- I think my ginormous 10" zucchini was probably quite a bit larger than what Martha Stewart was thinking when she called for "one large zucchini", so I'm sure the batter was much more liquid-y than it was supposed to be {by the way- did you all know that "ginormous" is now officially part of the English language? Sweet}.


Harumph! What a waste of a beautiful zucchini. I must admit, I was pretty grumpy about this last night. But, oh well, there will be more zukes to experiment with. And I can't wait to eat that yellow one, yummy!

5 comments:

  1. This exact thing happened to me the last two times I made banana bread. I'm sure it's because I always tend to use more banana than it calls for, but it's just so disappointing. I bet it still tastes great though :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would suggest a little extra baking powder as well. it can't hurt. bet it's still yummy waremd a bit and served over vanilla ice cream :-)

    we just made zucchini stuffed roasted tomatoes and they were AMAZING, so there's yet another yummy for your hearty harvest!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks ladies, for your suggestions. the more i think about it, the more i think it was the extra liquid from the large zuke and not the egg deal- the flax always works great in banana bread and i don't know why it would be different with this. i'll be sure to let you know how the next one turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I feel your pain. I get irrationally grumpy when something doesn't turn out as planned - completely ruins my day! If I used a prized zucchini, there could be the possibility of tears! LOL. Sunken or not though, your bread looks tasty to me! So glad to find your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL yes, I knew ginormous was part of our vocabulary now. I use it nearly daily :) What a bummer about your baking disaster!

    ReplyDelete