27 November 2007

Cranberry Yumminess

Like I said, I was silly enough to not get any Thanksgiving photos. So this will just have to be that evil photo-less post, but I so wanted to share this recipe with you all, so you'll just have to make it yourself to see how it turns out. I think this dish that my mom always made is one of my all-time Thanksgiving favorites, and now I make it every year. At my parent's Thanksgiving, we always ate it with the meal instead of cranberry sauce, but everytime I introduce someone else to it, they insist it's supposed to be a dessert. (The recipe calls it a "casserole," not a "crisp" but in this case, I'm not sure what the difference is). Whenever you eat it, it's delicious. In fact, writing about it now, I think I may have to make another one!

Cranberry Apple Casserole
Ingredients:
3 cups apples, chopped and unpeeled
2 cups fresh, whole cranberries
1 cup sugar (I use between 1/2 and 3/4 cup)
1/2 cup uncooked oats
1/2 cup pecans (or other nuts), chopped
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325. Grease a 2-quart casserole dish. Combine apples and cranberries in the dish. Sprinkle with sugar. In a separate bowl, combine oats, nuts, brown sugar, butter/margarine. Mix well and sprinkle over the fruit. Bake for 45 minutes. If you need more topping, add another 1/2 cup each of the oats and nuts- do not increase the brown sugar or butter/margarine. Eat while warm- especially good with some vanilla ice cream or soy cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment