21 May 2009

Oatmeal Rhubarb Crumble

If you've been reading this blog for any length of time, you know that I love eating food that I've grown myself. I started my first garden when we moved to Minneapolis and as I embark on my third year, I think I'm more excited and energized about this than I have ever been before. Last year, I wrote about my first encounter with rhubarb, the first crop to show its face here in Minnesota. Even if I didn't love the taste of it (which I do), I would love it simply because it's what rings in the harvest for the year. Rhubarb is like the alarm sounding, it says "wake up! it's time to get harvesting (and planting, since it's usually ready to be eaten before anything else has even been planted yet!)". To be fair, this rhubarb was given to me by my boss, some excess from her plant, which is apparently way bigger than my own. Another thing I love about rhubarb is that it continues to produce throughout the season. I have a bunch of recipes I want to try, including another batch of raspberry-rhubarb jam!

You can read my post about rhubarb soda (which was made with my own first harvest of the season) over at homesteading, but I want to share with you this recipe for Oatmeal Rhubarb Crumble. I would have to say that crumbles might be some of my favorite backed goods. They're so effortless, yet so delicious. This recipe came from an issue of Vegetarian Times (possibly sometime last year) and has only been slightly adapted. I think my favorite part about it is the fresh ginger in the topping, it adds such a wonderful, but unexpected, flavor. This would, obviously, be delicious with some kind of vanilla ice cream, but we didn't have any on hand. In fact, just this evening I was asking my mom about what ever happened to their ice cream maker, so if all goes according to plan, you may be seeing some recipes for ice cream and sorbet this summer too!

Oatmeal Rhubarb Crumble (adapted from Vegetarian Times)

Rhubarb Filling:
1-1.5 lbs rhubarb, cut into 1/2" pieces
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 Tbl. arrowroot powder
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Topping:
1/3 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup cornmeal
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup pecan halves
2 Tbl. canola oil
1/2 tsp. minced fresh ginger

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a 9"x9" (or equivalent) baking dish. Toss all ingredients for filling together in a bowl and let stand for 15 minutes. Place all topping ingredients into a food processor and pulse until mixture is chunky and begins to hold together. Spoon rhubarb mixture into baking dish. If there is any excess liquid (there may or may not be) discard it. Spread topping mixture over the top and bake for 35-40 minutes, until top is lightly browned. Cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!

{PS: I'm not quite done with the SF posts, two more I think, but I just had to take a break to share this recipe with you all!! Also, I'm thinking that the shop update will be on Tuesday sometime. And also, for all you feed readers, there is FINALLY a new header, no more winter!}

No comments:

Post a Comment