07 November 2011

wedding project: ties


part two of julia's crazy wedding projects!  i decided back in the spring that i wanted to make neckties for jared and the groomsmen.  after my relative success making jared a tie last fall for my cousin's wedding, i knew it wouldn't be too difficult.  i looked around for fabric that matched the bridesmaid dresses, but couldn't find anything i liked.  i was able to order a couple of yards of the fabric directly from the company that makes the dresses, so it ended up being an exact match.  pretty snappy, eh?

i left this project until the last minute (sort of, a couple of weeks before the wedding) because i knew it wasn't essential and if i ran out of time it wouldn't be a big deal.  i ended up having plenty of time, but lacking a bit in the motivation department.  by the time i got around to these, i was a bit burnt out on the wedding projects and was getting anxious for the day to just come already.  but i'm glad i made myself do these- they only took about a week and it all went pretty smoothly.  i'm super happy with how they turned out and it was a nice little gift to give our guys who helped make our wedding so wonderful.

technical notes: i used the purl bee father's day tie pattern.  the only thing i changed was that i only put one layer of interfacing in (the medium weight sew-in, i left out the lightweight fusible) since the fabric i used-silk shantung- is heavier than liberty tana lawn.  the last time i made this pattern, i used similar fabric and both layers of interfacing and the tie was super stiff.  while it wasn't stiff at all this time, it still feels a little flimsy, if i did this again, i might put a layer of muslin or other cotton fabric inside just to bulk it up.  also, i made one tie 3" longer for our friend who is 6'4".  

also, these are some of our professional wedding photos! i'll share more later this week. courtesy of tiffany bolk.  

No comments:

Post a Comment