18 June 2007

Weekend Projects Finished

You know it's hot when you go to Target at 9pm (changing out of your pajamas) to buy fans. I don't think it's gotten below 85 in about a week and it's all I can do to keep functioning. It's certainly too hot to be outside for too long, so I've taken the opportunity to get some projects done this weekend. Saturday and Sunday were the first free days I had in weeks, so I just relished in taking my time with my work.

I finished my second pattern-based skirt (above). I used the same pattern as the last one, from SewU, but did a drawstring waist (so no zipper or darts) and a ruffled bottom instead. I can definitely see the improvements over the first skirt, but I've still got a ways to go. I really feel like I'm learning a lot and challenging myself to take my time and pay attention to details. The color didn't turn out great in this photo (maybe I should take my time a little more with the photos)- the fabric I used is a very pale blue linen: perfect for this ridiculous weather!

This hat is for my mom, who is in dire need of a good sun hat. It's from Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing. I was very grateful for Amanda's post about this hat that I had read even before I bought the book--it seems that the pattern is universally too big (apparently most of the patterns in this book are bigger than they appear in the photos- maybe she used giants for models!). I took Amanda's advice and shortened the crown about 1 1/4", but I think if I made this again, I'd shorten the crown less and also shorten the brim. It came out a bit more bonnet than I was hoping. But I still like it, and it was so fun to make! Lots of topstitching and my first experiment with interfacing.

Can't wait to tackle some other projects from this book!

PS: Thank you all so much for your sweet comments about my failed craft fair a few weekends ago, my first skirt, and on my first etsyversary, they are much appreciated! And thanks to those who took advantage of my etsyversary sale.

5 comments:

  1. Your mom is one lucky lady! She'll love that hat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stumbled upon your blog via miss felicia above... what a lovely place! I look forward to exploring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks all for your sweet comments! The hat was a lot of fun to make!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this post is like a zillion years old (in internet time), but I am making this hat this weekend and remembered you reviewed the pattern. So thanks!

    I'd like to try Amy Butler's sunhat too, but I already have the "Simple Sewing" book and am trying not to buy things right now.

    ReplyDelete