06 July 2007

The life of a zucchini

I started out my July 4 this year by cutting the first real "fruits" of my garden. What better way to celebrate Independence Day than by reaping the benefits of my hard work, and taking one step closer to actually being independent from large agribusiness, petroleum, and corporations by growing my own food and supporting a local, organic, small-scale food system.





It doesn't get fresher than cutting the vegetable, walking back across the street to my house, cooking it up and eating it that very day! I didn't get a photo of the final product, which was a delicious pasta salad that Jared made, but it was amazing and I was so proud to be eating my very own zucchini! (For more inspiration, I would highly recommend Barbara Kingsolver's new book- Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. Also,check out Klay's recent post).

I've been on a bit of an unintended blog break due to some major family time this past week. I'll be back in full force next week with some new crafty posts. Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. That looks delish! I wish I had the space for my own garden. I'm a country girl at heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Success! *cheering for you* You look so happy in that photo - I love it!

    ReplyDelete