05 February 2008

...For a soon-to-be little one

I think one definition of a great job is one where it's okay to decide at 9:00am on a Tuesday morning that you're going to take a personal day. That day. Yeah, I think I've got a pretty great job. Jared's making his last (for a little while at least) trip to San Francisco tomorrow night, so I decided to take the day off to hang out with him. We don't have any big plans or anything like that (so it goes when you decide to stay home about 15 minutes before you were going to leave for work), in fact, we'll probably do boring stuff like errands, but it'll just be nice to have some time to be around each other.

Also, I finally finished up this big project that's been looming for a little while. I'm not sure why I procrastinated so much, but here it is, in all it's glory. A custom diaper bag set (including bag, changing pad, and matching zippy pouch) for a friend of mine who is due in, oh, less than two weeks (aka: any day now). I'm super honored that she wanted me to design and make this set for her and her baby and I hope that it will always be used in good health and happiness.

I loosely based the bag shape on Melissa's "waiting bag" and I kind of fudged the elastic on the sides, but I think it works well enough. There's plenty of pockets on the inside for all manner of baby things that will find their way in there. A matching changing pad, and zippy pouch so that mom can avoid digging around for her essentials. Even though none of these things were that big a deal to sew, I feel like making this coordinating set was a big accomplishment. (And I never thought I'd say this, but I may have overloaded on this fabric!) I honestly love doing custom orders, because I feel like it really kicks me into stretching my boundaries and ideas, and I don't have to worry about whether or not someone will want to buy it, because there's already someone ordering it. I continue to feel that, with every project I complete, I am learning new sewing techniques, as well as expanding my design capabilities. Yeah, that's a good feeling.


I've got a whole list of upcoming projects that need getting done, so get ready for some major crafty action coming up here. Happy Tuesday!

3 comments:

  1. OH- so cute! Hope you guys enjoy your day off. I am quite jealous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cute - love that fabric, love the bag and the quilting - NICE JOB!

    ReplyDelete