20 November 2008

Some cookies for this fine Thursday

I realized that it's been quite a while since I've shared a recipe with you all here. I have a few in the hopper waiting to post, but here's a new one for you. One of Jared's amazing little nephews is now on a gluten-free diet and since I usually bring some cookies or some kind of tasty treat when we go over there, I figured I'd go gluten free for our visit this past weekend. Naturally I turned to the expert. I've read Shauna's blog for quite some time, but have never managed to actually make one of her recipes. This seemed as good a time as any. If you're just on a search for recipes, she has compiled an index of all of her recipes here. I know I'll be back to that index, especially as we prepare for a vegan, gluten free Thanksgiving over at their house next week (I'll be sure to report back on the menu for that one!).

As delicious as the recipe looks, I did make a few modifications so I could accommodate both the gluten free three and a half year old, and the vegan twenty eight year old. The original version of the recipe is here, my vegan version is below. These cookies are seriously delicious, miraculously there are still a few left, but they are still chewy, which I love! The salt (which Shauna specifically talks about in her post about this recipe) add such a delicious bite, and really cuts the sweetness in a nice way. The original recipe calls for a Mexican hot chocolate mix, which has chili powder in it, but I didn't have any on hand. I used my standard cocoa mix, though I think these would be really tasty with a little spice!

LinkVegan, Gluten Free Ooey Gooey Chocolate Cookies
(adapted from The Gluten Free Girl)

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups white rice flour (the recipe calls for "sweet rice flour" and I didn't know if that meant white or brown rice flour. I chose white)
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1/4 cup millet flour
1/4 cup teff flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup non dairy margarine (softened)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup hot cocoa powder
3 tbl ground flax seed mixed with 9 tbl water
1 tbl vanilla
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350. In a medium mixing bowl, combine all flours, add baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, cream margarine, sugars, and cocoa powder. Mix in flax mixture and vanilla. Pour dry mixture into wet mixture all at once and mix until combined. Add in chocolate chips. Bake 12-14 minutes, cool before eating. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Hey thanks for sharing this! My mom just went gluten-free and this will be something good to try for the holidays :)

    ReplyDelete