06 January 2009

Piksi

Ever since I saw Erica's Piksi hat, I knew I needed to make one (also, have you seen her mittens?! They are amazing). I had two skeins of Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran that I knew would be perfect. And with my new chocolate brown winter jacket, the light blue of the yarn would be a great match. So, as soon as I finished up Jared's hat, I cast on the Piksi.

I probably should have looked more closely at some of the photos of this hat being modeled. Because as soon as it was completed and I tried it on, it only came about halfway down my ears...not so practical for this cold cold winter we're having! I also probably should have thought about the name, which might have given away the style a little bit more. In any case, I ripped it out, made a few modifications to lengthen it (see below or here if you're on Ravelry), and got back to work. I haven't taken it off since. The ribbed brim makes it extra warm around my ears and most of my head--a definite plus. And this yarn is beyond soft. I'm contemplating re-doing the pompom and making a bigger one, but knowing myself, I'm probably not going to do that anytime soon. But seriously, I love this hat.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pattern
: Piksi Hat by Erica Knits
Yarn
: Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran in light blue (300202)
Needles: Size 7 circular and double pointed needles
Modifications: I made the ribbing at the bottom 24 rows and the first stockinette section 28 rows. I also made each ridge 10 rows.


See, I told you there were crafty posts on the way!

2 comments: