26 October 2007

I really do

I really do love belated birthday presents. Frankly, it just makes me feel like it's still my birthday, when it clearly isn't. And as I mentioned before, the more handmade the present, the better (do I even have to say it?).


Anyways, on Monday I received this belated present from one of my dearest friends. Don't feel bad if you don't get it, it took me a while. So here's the story. About a month ago, I was at this bar with a few friends. The three other people I was with all ordered the same beer and I ordered some kind of nonalcoholic fruity lemonade or something (I was just in the mood). When the waiter came and brought us our drinks, he gave everyone else a coaster with their beverage, except for me. It seemed odd (especially compounded by his previous odd behavior- such as sitting down in a chair next to my friend while we were ordering), and when he finally came back I asked him for a coaster. He was all jokey and started throwing coasters at me (they were just those cardboard kind, but still). So we threw some back at him, and on and on it went for the rest of the night.


It was kind of funny, but mostly kind of annoying. Anyways, so one of my friends who was with me that night relayed this story to our friend in Brooklyn, who then made me this birthday present. A comic strip of me getting hit in the face with coasters. Etched in clay. On a set of four coasters. You have to admit the hilarity of it. In a message to me the other day, Jenny referred to it as "possibly the most offensive gift I've ever given anyone." But I love it.


She also sent me this advance (maybe?) copy of The Art of William Steig, who wrote and illustrated some of my all time favorite children's books among many other things. If you're not familiar with him, you've clearly been living in a hole for your entire life. I forgive you, but it's not too late to hop on the Steig train. (Jenny also got tickets for my parents to the opening of this exhibit at the Jewish Museum-where she works. So jealous!) Anyways, here's a couple of my favorites, just from my quick perusing of this amazing book.


Hope you all have great weekends. I've still got more crafting to catch you all up on (I've been pretty busy) so I may pop in here over the weekend. And just a heads up, I'm feeling a little giveaway in the making, so stick around.

No comments:

Post a Comment