25 September 2008

now who doesn't love presents?

Let's talk about my love for the US Postal Service. Okay, sure they can be annoying and expensive and unhelpful. But don't you just want to jump up and down and hug your mail carrier when they come to your door bearing presents? I do. Nevermind the fact that I'm almost never actually home when they come. But finding a box or envelope awaiting me on my front porch when I come home from work is just about the most exciting thing. At least in my book.

I'm a bit behind on this post, but I wanted to share with you a couple of the fun things that have arrived in my mailbox lately. Some of these have been from new friends that I've made out here in blog/flickrland, while others are from an old friend, and my mom. My mom, by the way, is the queen of sending good packages (including those purple corduroy shoes from the last post...).

Claire, a wonderful flickr friend, sent me this amazing wallet that she made, along with an adorable card and some vintage ribbon. That card on the right is a little description of all the fabrics that she used in the wallet and where and when she bought them all. How's that for some history?! I absolutely love it and it's so fun to think of her every time I take out my wallet. She'll be opening an etsy shop soon, so keep your eye out.

Nicole is another friend from out here. I'm sure most of you are familiar with her beautiful blog (and if you're not, go check it out. Her photographs and words always make me want to exhale). I sent Nicole some jam earlier in the summer, and she returned the gift with these amazing spices. I haven't tried them out yet, but they are three of my favorites. I'm thinking with all my meal planning, I'll be putting them to good use soon enough.

After the birthday jam my old friend Leah sent me last year, she and I decided to do a jam swap this summer. Leah and I met during our time living in Ecuador almost six years ago (wow) and lived together for a while in Berkeley, where she still lives. She and her boyfriend spent most of the summer with family in Maine, so she sent me some blueberry honey, and strawberry jams, both made from fruit that they picked themselves. The blueberry jam arrived in that lunchbox too! I'll be packing up her jams next week.

Finally, from my mom. This awesome little case was something they saw at a yard sale a while back and my mom immediately thought that it would be perfect for displaying cards at craft fairs. She was so right. She actually called me to see if I would want it, and at the time, I was at a yard sale here. Hmm, I guess it runs in the family? Anyways, I love it and will definitely be using it to display my goods at my show next month.

I really do love getting fun things in the mail (come on, who doesn't?), which is why I always try to send fun things in the mail, I know it'll come back to me somehow. Try it, because you never know what'll turn up in your mailbox one day.

ps: new banner is up!

3 comments:

  1. I'm right there with you. Fun mail is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. such lovely, lovely parcels to receive. i'm with you on the excitement of getting great post - it still makes me as happy as it did when i was younger and used to wait all morning for the postman to arrive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking of which, if something arrives at your door next week from Manchester, UK, it's from me. I have no idea when it'll arrive, or whether my name will be anywhere on it, so I thought it best to give you a heads-up.

    How's that for cryptic? ;)

    ReplyDelete