15 November 2010

in which i almost burn my house down

Apparently, the only motivation I needed to make myself the pair of oven mitts I've been wanting for the past three years was to set my current pair on fire.  I wish I was kidding.  After the whole ordeal, I said to Jared "well, I've been wanting a new pair for a while" to which he responded "all you had to do was ask."

In any case, now I have a super awesome new pair of oven mitts.  I would be having the same dilemma about these that I had with the dishtowel (i.e. not wanting them to get dirty), except that there are hot things coming out of the oven and I don't really have much of a choice.  And so, they are already in heavy rotation and will probably be stained and looking quite well loved in no time.  I'd also like to report that I quickly got over wanting to keep the dishtowel pristine and it is also stained and very well loved now.  And I can't wait to make more and get them nice and dirty.

These mitts are loosely based on the pair in Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing.  This is actually the third pair of these I've made and after the first set, I confirmed my feelings that although I do love this book, the photos do not at all match the patterns or instructions.  Which is why I modified the pattern.  I used some really nice grey/blue cotton twill (don't worry, before I cut into it I made sure that I'll still have enough of this for that pair of pants I'm planning on making) and a Japanese cotton/linen blend that I snagged from Leslie and have apparently been hanging onto for a few years.  For the batting, I used one layer of Insul-Bright and one layer of light wool batting on each side of each mitt.

So there you have it.  A project that I can finally cross of my to-do list after three years.  I guess sometimes you just need a little motivation.  Though, I wouldn't recommend starting a fire in your kitchen.  


  1. I have done that -the burning, not the making.
    I think I need some of these for my new kitchen....

  2. I totally need some too.
    Mine are 11 years old, and have some minor burns on them. Nothing compared to your excitement!

  3. I just made two of these very same mitts! I modified the pattern a bit after making the first one. The inside edge, where your bias fabric goes, was rough and unfinished looking.

    Anyway, fab job!